Make the most of these two beautiful summer vegetables with intense but evenly-matched flavours; beetroot and fennel! These two provide the perfect combo, with the fennel adding a bit of crunch and hit of flavour, while the beetroot oozes out its rich purple hue into the creamy filling.
- Chop the onion and fennel bulb. Fry until the onion is soft but the fennel still a bit crunchy (10~15mins), and season as desired.
- Dice the beetroot into small cubes and boil in water until soft (15~20mins).
- Mix together the flour, butter, one egg and a spash of water into a dough ball.
- Taking your pastry dish, press the dough down roughly into a circle, then push it around evenly until it fills the base and sides of the dish.
- Using a fork, pierce some holes in the base of the pastry to stop is rising, then bake at 180C for 20 mins.
- Once baked, fill pastry dish with the onion, fennel, and beetroot.
- Make a mix of two eggs, the double cream, salt and pepper, whisked together, and pour over the veg in the pastry dish til reasonably covered.
- Bake at 180C for 40 mins.
Serve with steamed French beans and a side salad, perhaps...?